Econometrics is the application of statistical methods to economic data with the goal of examining relationships. This course introduces students to multiple regression methods for analyzing data. Extensions include regression with discrete random variables, instrumental variables regression, analysis of random experiments and quasi-experiments, and regression with time series data. The objective of the course is for the student to learn how to conduct – and how to critique – empirical studies in economics and related fields. Accordingly, the emphasis of the course is on empirical applications. Students should be familiar with basic concepts in probability theory and statistical inference.
- Textbook: Introduction to Econometrics by Stock & Watson – 3rd edition, ISBN 10: 0138009007 ISBN 13: 9780138009007 , no access card needed, find it on abebooks.com
- Updated edition ISBN: 9780133486872, 0133486877. The course covers chapters 1-13 of the textbook, one chapter per week, with deadlines on Sundays.
- Solutions to end of chapter odd numbered problems & review questions, other resources
- Excel Statistics Essential Training 1 -Lynda.com
- Excel Statistics Essential Training 2 -Lynda.com
- Logistic Regression in R and Excel -Lynda.com, use parts 1-3 for ch 12
- Read the textbook chapter.
- Practice on your own: Solve Review Questions & check solutions found on the textbook site .
- Practice on your own: Solve odd-numbered end of chapter problems & check your solutions on textbook site.
- Turn in your solutions for any 5 even numbered problems.
- Do one end of chapter empirical exercise using Excel (choose any in the chapter has more than one).
- Econometrics videos – KeynesAcademy
- Econometrics course videos – Ben Lambert
- Lectures on econometrics – BurkeyAcademy
- Econometrics by Bruce Hanson -textbook, U of Wisconsin
- Ben Lambert’s page – including problem sets
- Econometrics MOOC – Erasmus Univ @Coursera
- Econometrics books – list
- Web pages that perform stat calculations -statpages.org
- Mystatlab – pearson
- Software gretl – free
- EasyReg software – free
- Oaxaca decomposition – world bank examples
- Decomposition cheat sheet – MF wage differential