Business analytics is the use of data, information technology, statistical analysis, quantitative methods, and mathematical computer-based models to help managers gain improved insight about their business operations and make better, fact-based decisions. This course will introduce students to concepts and tools of business analytics.
Course outline and assignments
Module 1. Intro to analytics, Excel basics
- What happens when you use bad analytics – 1 min video
- Business Analytics defined – HBR 3min video
- Upwork Jobs -freelancing
- Log into Lynda.com via myESC. Find course entitled Excel 2016 Essential Training. Watch modules 1-6.
- HW 1: Salaries.xlsx file with homework
Module 2. Applications of analytics, Power functions
- Readings coming soon
Module 3. Big data, Data visualization
- Readings: coming soon
- Lynda Excel 2016: Charts in Depth Watch all.
- HW3: coming soon
Module 4. Ethical Issues, Pivot Tables
- Scary new ways Internet profiles you – the daily beast
- How cell phones can be the next big brother – Havard law prof
- Why ‘I Have Nothing to Hide’ Is the Wrong Way to Think About Surveillance -wired
- Lynda Excel 2016: Pivot Tables in Depth . Watch all.
- Working with PivotTables in Excel – youtube tutorial part 1
- HW4: coming soon
Module 5. Dashboards
- Use Creating a Basic Dashboard in Excel 2016. Watch all.
- How to create a dashboard using pivot tables – tutorial
Module 6. Regression analysis
Module 7. Forecasting
- Lynda Excel Data Analysis: Forecasting . Watch all.
- Lynda Applied Economic Forecasting.
- Lynda Financial Forecasting with Big Data. – use of regression
- Tutorial on forecasting methods in Excel – youtube
- Forecasting methods and examples – pdf, as shown in class
Module 8. Scenarios and Optimization
- Use Lynda Learning Excel What-If Analysis
- Use Lynda Excel: Scenario Planning and Analysis
- Using Solver tool: Lynda Solving Optimization and Scheduling Problems in Excel.
Module 9. Building a heat map
Module 10. Working with real time data project
- Project: Lynda Working with Real-Time Data in Excel
- Textbook: Evans, Business Analytics: Methods, Models and Decisions (2e). ISBN 9789332536586
- The value of signal and the cost of noise – the value of BA
- A very short history of data science – Forbes
- Milgram: Why smart statistics are the key to fighting crime – TED
- Cukier: Big data – TED, machine learning, challenges
- Brethenoux: Emotional analytics – TED, big data application
- Data mining – what is it?
- Techniques of data mining – article
- Data Mining and Customer Relationships- article
- More data mining links here if needed
- Business analysis handbook – institute of business analysis
- puzzlor.com – monthly puzzle
- KDnuggests.com – data science books, courses, etc
- Big data fundamentals – free course bigdatauniversity.com
- Mining of massive data sets – by Ullman et al, technical book free
- Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction – advanced stats book free
- The art of data science – bookhttps://learn.saylor.org/course/view.php?id=83§ion=2https://learn.saylor.org/course/view.php?id=41§ionid=433Business Statistics – Saylor courseUnderstanding the chief data officer – article
- Applications of machine learning to finance, healthcare, marketing-find better link
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book:Machine_Learning_–_The_Complete_Guide – list of terms
- Using data to make decisions-example