Business analytics is the use of data, information technology, statistical analysis, quantitative methods, and mathematical computer-based models to help managers gain improved insight about their business operations and make better, fact-based decisions. This course will introduce students to concepts and tools of business analytics.
Course outline and assignments
Module 1. Intro to analytics, Excel basics
- Big data -company case study
- Beyond big data buzz -industry case study
- Types of Data: Nominal, Ordinal, Interval/Ratio – Statistics Help
- What happens when you use bad analytics – 1 min video
- Business Analytics defined – HBR 3min video
- Upwork Jobs -freelancing
- Watch Excel 2016 Essential Training modules 1-5. Log into Lynda.com via myESC using your ESC login
- Slides from class 1 – pdf
- HW 1 xls file – download
Module 2. Functions: IF, COUNTIF, SUMIF
- Lynda Excel 2016 Essential Training. Watch module 10, videos 1, 4, skip two other videos.
- Lynda: Everyday Statistics – watch all videos
- HW2 xls file – download
Module 3. Functions: VLOOKUP, MATCH, INDEX
- Lynda Excel 2016 Essential Training. Watch module 10, videos 2,3.
- Lynda video Two-way lookup using the MATCH and INDEX functions (from Excel Tips Weekly)
- HW3 xls file – download
Module 4. Data visualization
- Lynda Excel 2016 Essential Training. Watch module 7.
- Lynda Excel 2016: Charts in Depth Watch all.
- Our world in data – great visualization examples
- Slides from class – pdf
- HW4 xls file – download
Module 5. Pivot Tables
- Lynda Excel 2016 Essential Training. Watch module 14.
- Lynda Excel 2016: Pivot Tables in Depth . Watch all.
- HW5 xls file- download
Module 6. Applied statistics
Module 7. Regressions and financial forecasting
- Lynda Financial Forecasting with Big Data – watch all
- Regression refresher – 2min HBR
- Intro to Linear Regression
- Interpreting the Regression Line
- HW7 xls file – download
Module 7. Forecasting time series data
- Lynda Excel Data Analysis: Forecasting – Watch all
- HW8 xls file -download
Module 9. Building a heat map
- Lynda Building a Dynamic Heat Map in Excel
- NYC accidents statistics -data
- HW9 xls file– build a Heat map following the tutorial
Module 10. Power map
- Lynda Visualizing Geospatial Data with Power Map in Excel
- HW10 xls file – building a powermap
Module 11. Working with real time data
- Lynda Working with Real-Time Data in Excel
- Underground weather – api & docs
- HW11 xls file – weather data
- Lynda Excel 2016 Essential Training. Watch module 15.
- Use Creating a Basic Dashboard in Excel 2016. Watch all.
- How to create a dashboard using pivot tables – tutorial
- Lynda Learning Public Data Sets
- Lynda Business Analytics: Prescriptive Analytics -theory,history
- Lynda Applied Economic Forecasting.
- Use Lynda Learning Excel What-If Analysis
- Use Lynda Excel: Scenario Planning and Analysis
- Using Solver tool: Lynda Solving Optimization and Scheduling Problems in Excel.
- Textbook: Evans, Business Analytics: Methods, Models and Decisions (2e). ISBN 9789332536586
- The value of signal and the cost of noise – the value of BA
- A very short history of data science – Forbes
- Milgram: Why smart statistics are the key to fighting crime – TED
- Cukier: Big data – TED, machine learning, challenges
- Brethenoux: Emotional analytics – TED, big data application
- Data mining – what is it?
- Techniques of data mining – article
- Data Mining and Customer Relationships- article
- More data mining links here if needed
- Business analysis handbook – institute of business analysis
- puzzlor.com – monthly puzzle
- KDnuggests.com – data science books, courses, etc
- Big data fundamentals – free course bigdatauniversity.com
- Mining of massive data sets – by Ullman et al, technical book free
- Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction – advanced stats book free
- The art of data science – book
- Business Statistics – Saylor course
- Understanding the chief data officer – article
- Role of Information in Organizations – article
- MIT Technology Review: “The Geography of Innovation” – video
- Software Design Review– article
- Top 10 tech failures of 2013 – article
- What is the Internet (and What Makes it Work)? – article
- Kafka, meet Orwell: the modern surveillance state -UK
- Scary new ways Internet profiles you – the daily beast
- How cell phones can be the next big brother – Havard law prof
- Why ‘I Have Nothing to Hide’ Is the Wrong Way to Think About Surveillance -wired
- Applications of machine learning to finance, healthcare, marketing-find better link
- Using data to make decisions-example